Monday, April 12, 2010

Dothraki Language

A quick post, just because I'm excited to share.

As you may or may not know (I'm pretty sure I've told everyone that I know) HBO is filming a series based on George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.

Today's big announcement, already covered elsewhere in blogland, is that HBO hired a linguist to create the Dothraki language. The blog Winter is Coming broke the news earlier.

But, for those of who just think that's uh... well, super cool, David Peterson, the linguist, has started a blog specifically for sharing and commenting on this new language. Here, in fact. (Edit, 4/13, the site was moved, so I updated the link.)

I've actually started crafting a language for Catalyst, and will probably have the core of a second one before I'm done tinkering. Am I a linguist? No, no. I just think it makes the world more interesting. (That and regional accents, grawr.)

My interest is in watching this unfold and seeing how much I can learn about the process. Thought I'd share.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comment.