Monday, February 13, 2012

Manifesting Change - Mike Dooley

I decided to change up the format for my reading journal (in case that wasn't obvious). In keeping with my reading goals, herein is my first (completed) non-fiction of the year. It took me some time to read it, not due to its length, but rather due to wanting and/or needing to absorb the concepts within. 



Manifesting Change: It Couldn't Be Easier - Mike Dooley. (2010) (Male, Non-Fiction)

Author and international speaker Mike Dooley illuminates exactly how to move beyond the law of attraction to the next level—manifestation. In his most powerful and comprehensive work to date, Dooley reveals his master guide for following your heart and taking action on your dreams. Manifesting Change explains the actual mechanics behind every dream, how you fit into the equation of “Reality Creation,” and which steps you can take that will lead you to the desired end results without worrying about the details. Dooley expands upon the universal mysteries of why you are here, who you really are, and all that you deserve. It includes easy-to-understand exercises, stories, and analogies, and reveals the extraordinarily unique concept, the “Matrix” that clearly shows the flow of events that will, or will not, automatically trigger changes in your life based upon your thoughts, words, and actions.
When I was young, and more angsted than I was/am as an adult, I read a number of pop psychology books inbetween the classics, comic books and fantasy fiction. I read Dale Carnegie. I studied sales courses. Always, all of it, about the "power of positive thinking."

Like you're supposed to shrug off the bad things that happen. Not worry about how your bills are going to get paid or if anyone is going to love you. Just be happy and bouncy and that's enough. You know, those books will always sell, because people are always looking for an answer to make their life better, and we all eventually get to looking deep within. But, ultimately, they're all instructionals. Do this. Think that.

None of them had any premise. Anything that you could hold onto, other than "be positive". So vague. So seemingly impossible when life thumps you in the head again and again.

Sometimes I look up quotes and put them on twitter or facebook or append my emails with little clever phrases - I've always had a thing for quotes, since I was in high school. I've also got a thing for pattern recognition - and the thing I noticed this year was that all of the "inspirational" quotes that I found all had the same message, inherently.  The same message that Dooley teaches in this book. It's more than "be positive" - it's ... set your mind upon your success.

About a year and a half ago, I did a brief write up for Dooley's first book, Infinite Possibilities. I did well with the information contained within, but my life still sees challenges and I struggle against myself and my demons. I studied too much psychology, so I knew I needed to keep reading, to keep pushing my own personal limits. Enter Manifesting Change.

Manifesting takes everything a notch further. Gives reasons and explanations that pop psychology never will. It's a logic that once you embrace its roots, you will begin to see candles behind the silk screen. I'd been out of work for a month, and a day after I started reading, a former employer called me and asked me back. There are no coincidences.

As a writer, I'm my own worst critic. I spend most days reading blogs on sf/f, author interviews, agent articles, publisher news releases, and a gazillion writing tips. It's so overwhelming, so intimidating. My blog has few followers, I've barely any friends on facebook, there's so much to learn, to know, to try.

It's so EASY to get mired in the swamp of doubt and hesitation and procrastination - and fear. It's not enough to have someone pat you on the shoulder and say, "Oh, it'll be fine. Just smile and think happy thoughts!" Right. You can kiss my a*s. I think for a living, man, give me something to chew on. Explain it to me like I'm a four year old.

I would suggest reading Infinite Possibilities first, but it's not necessary. And while I have strong views on politics, religion, and social psychology - I'm not inclined to soap box too much here, either. I think you'd be surprised to discover that everything that happens to you - is your own doing, one way or the other. That's not a terribly hard concept to grasp - but overcoming the doom and gloom of the daily grind in a world where there's just so much death and destruction, that gets a little more complicated.

Sometimes you just need a reminder. A jump start. A nudge, in the right direction, to get your life the way you want it. No one does it better than Mike Dooley. I said it a year and a half ago, and I'll say it again - if you read just one self-help book in your lifetime, if you open your mind just once to the possibility that you can do and have all of your dreams come true - then read Mike Dooley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.