Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reading Journal - Songs of Love and Death, Martin and Dozois

Lately, I have been working on revisions to Catalyst. Trimmed 8,000 words from the manuscript to date. Sounds good, doesn't it? Hahaha. At least 20,000 more to go.

Songs of Love and Death: All Original Tales of Star Crossed Love

Having just recently finished two rather heavy volumes, I turned back to the anthology for quicker reads when my mind needs a rest.

Here's a few more stories from Martin and Dozois' anthology...

Demon Lover, Cecelia Holland. Fantasy. "There's a cost for everything, but here we learn that sometimes the cost can be much too high, no matter how glittering and wonderful the prize is - or seems to be."

The style didn't resonate with me as strongly as some of the other tales; her King of Norway in the Warriors anthology was an easier read for me. Having said that, this story told much like an old fable, which made it the first of its type so far in the anthology. That alone made it worth reading.

*

The Wayfarer's Advice, Melinda M. Snodgrass. Science Fiction. "Here's a compelling drama set in deep space that reunites lovers long parted by rank, social status and circumstance - although, as they both soon come to realize, it may not reunite them for very long..."

I'd never read Snodgrass before - though I'd heard of her through GRRM's blog and other projects. This piece was very entertaining, quite nearly Shakespearean in scope and intent, complete with a happily tragic end. Very, very nice. And a reminder of how long it's been since I'd read any science fiction. I am a bad boy.

*
Blue Boots, Robin Hobb. Medieval Romance. "In the poignant story that follows, she shows us that although love can build bridges across the widest of chasms, those bridges can be swept away by a flood of troubles - but that sometimes, with luck and persistence, they can be built again."

I have come to enjoy Robin Hobb's method of storytelling, the ease of her prose which allows the reader to be inside the mind of the protagonist. Stand-alone romance tales are not my particular interest - even though this was certainly well written. But, being a man, I favored her Warriors contribution, The Triumph. That I could even finish this tale of a 17yr old kitchen maid indicates to me that I should probably add Hobb to my TBR list.

*
The Thing About Cassandra, Neil Gaiman. Literary. "As demonstrated by the subtle and melancholy story that follows, memory can be a very unreliable thing, even in matters of the heart. Or perhaps particularly in matters of the heart..."

Gaiman is one of those authors that you love or hate - I think he's genius, and I know I'm not alone. Even in a short story, he can turn the reader around and around again - this tale was no exception. Worth mentioning, his crazy brilliant prose; reading his material is like having a conversation with your best friend who's a little crazy, and never wrong.


It's strange, bringing someone home. It makes you see the place you live as if you've not been there before. (pg 203)
Ha, right? I'll let you chew on that one for a bit. Til the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.