Friday, May 20, 2011

Writing Tip Posts, Week of May 20, 2011

I spend more time these days reading and revising than writing new material. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but it's a pretty established industry observation that all most authors are insecure of their work.

I find myself torn between wanting to put the finishing touches on this WIP, and begin the next - and avoiding all the traps and errors of the unpublished novelist.

But first? An amusing video!



Now since I'm about six months behind on keeping up with blogs and posting to this one, this post will be lengthier than what I have in mind.

For those further along in the process, here is The Best Agent Blogs of 2011, some of which were new to me. Also, Rene Sears answers Questions on Slush. That's a good start.

Before we take this whole thing too seriously... take it seriously, of course... but bear in mind that blogs about writing tips number in the millions these days - it's a way to draw traffic to the blog. As noted in my reading journal, what I'm getting from my reading is that VOICE and STYLE (and TALENT) are more important than following the rules. Livia Blackburne did an excellent post on this very topic.

Okay? Good! Now let me share with you some links that have caught my eye, or that I have found useful.

Toni McGee Causey, on The Art and Soul of POV, as recommended by Janet Reid, the "query shark".

Kristen Lamb always has some great advice. I am sure you'll see links to her blog quite often. Here are 5 Common Writing Pitfalls and a very extensive look into the Anatomy of Conflict.

Over at A Dribble of Ink, John Ginsberg-Stevens does a guest post on "Mind-blowing" Genre Fiction.

Jurgen Wolff has a nice three part series on writing descriptions, beginning here.

Jennifer Hubbard offers some advice on how to end your writing session.

Rebecca Serle: 7 Things I've Learned So Far. I was impressed by how many of those things I've either told myself or needed to hear.

Ten Universal Tenets of Story7 Unmentionables Authors Should Keep in Mind, and 3 Underhanded Ways to Show instead of Tell, courtesy of The Best Damn Creative Writing Blog.

I hope you find some of these links useful. Found a good writing tip article this week? Feel free to share in the comments.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.